For some reason, people with mobility issues are a little reluctant to use a walking cane.
The best walking cane is an ideal option for those who need assistance getting around, be it because of an illness, injury, or just old age.
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with using a cane—some people who don’t necessarily need it will use it because they can be quite stylish!
In this guide, we are going to talk to you about some important features you should look for in a walking cane, but we will also go over our top three choices. In these mini reviews, we will talk about the features of the cane, but we will also give you a brief summary of what people had to say about said cane.
Without further ado, let’s get to it!
*Notice: On mobile devices, scroll right to see entire table.
Best Walking Cane
What To Look For In The Best Walking Cane
When it comes to choosing a the best walking cane for seniors, you don’t want to get just any old stick. You are going to want one that is going to best suit their needs. Some seniors may need a sturdy cane that will improve their balance.
Some will require a cane that adjusts in height. Some may just one that is stylish and offers minimal support.
Here are key factors you should look at when shopping around for a walking cane:
- Cane Tips: The tip of the cane is important because it is what will give you traction and stability when walking on a hard surface. A rubber tip can give you great traction, while a quad tip can provide both traction and stability.
- Size: The size of your cane should fit your height. Most canes are adjustable, but some are not. In order to choose the right size, you will want to measure from the bottom of your wrist down to the ground while wearing your normal shoes.
- Weight Capacity: Some canes are designed to support the users’ body weight, while others are just intended for balance. You don’t want to choose a decorative cane with a low weight capacity if you intend on relying on your cane for much support. You never want to exceed the recommended weight capacity, as it could cause the cane to break and you could get hurt.
- Foldability: There are going to be times when you aren’t going to need your cane when you’re out and about. A folding cane is the perfect option for these situations because it can neatly fold up and be tucked out of the way. These are ideal for people who travel a lot.
- Material: There are three types of materials often used for canes: wood, aluminum, and steel. Wood canes are usually designed to be decorative and they are not adjustable. Aluminum and steel are suitable for supporting weight and they are often adjustable. However, a steel cane is going to be heavier of the three, but it is also the strongest.
Now, let’s take a look at our top three favorite canes.
Best Walking Cane
Here's our recommendation for the best walking cane:
Winner: Men Derby Cane Scorched Cherry Hardwood
For those who want to walk out in style, the Men Derby Cane Scorched Cherry Hardwood is a great option. This beautiful cane is made from a hardwood material that has a lovely spiral carved in part of the shaft.
The cherry finish accents the carving as well as the wood grain, giving this cane the look of elegance, refinement, and sophistication—qualities that are often lacking on other canes. If you don’t particularly care for this specific design, you can choose between six other elegant styles.
This cane is lovely to look at, there’s no denying that. The ergonomic handle of this cane is designed to relieve pressure and strain from your wrist, arm and shoulders. After prolonged use, you will not experience any pain or fatigue, which can be attributed to the fact that this cane only weighs 1 pound, total.
Notable Features Of The Cane
- Made in the US by the leading cane manufacturer, Harvy Canes.
- Hardwood shaft in scorched cherry finish is 36 inches long
- Designed for style and is not meant to be a weight bearing cane.
- Derby handle provides comfortable support.
The cane has a 250 pound weight capacity, so while it isn’t designed to be a weight bearing device, you can put some weight on it.
When looking at what people had to say about the Men Derby Cane Scorched Cherry Hardwood, they had great things to say. Customers rave about the appearance of the cane. They like the sleek design, the lovely carving, and the beautiful cherry finish.
People commented that the derby handle fits comfortably in the hand and they don’t experience any discomfort after using the cane for any length of time.
At the other end of the spectrum, there were some people who were disappointed with their purchase. These customers report that the finish on the handle and the shaft of the cane would crack or completely chip away. One person said that the lacquer on their cane had air bubbles and it looked like someone bashed it with a hammer.
Other than the look of the cane, a small handful of customers shared that this was not a sturdy cane and couldn’t take more than 50 pounds of pressure without the cane bowing. To be fair, the manufacturer does say this is not a load bearing cane.
Runner Up: Switch Sticks Designer Folding Walking Cane
The Switch Sticks Designer Folding Walking Cane is a device that proves walking canes do not have to be ugly. There are 20 different designs and colors that you could choose from in this product’s lineup.
It doesn’t matter what your style is, you can bet that you’ll find something that appeals to your sense of style. Not only are there a variety of colors and styles, but the wooden handle of the cane is the perfect accent for these lovely canes.
Of course, let’s get to how the cane functions! Unlike other canes that are cumbersome to travel with, this cane will fold up into a neat little bundle that is held together with a Velcro strap.
Notable Features Of The Walking Stick
- Unique and comfortable wood handle
- Compact design folds in four places
- Adjustable from 32 to 37 inches
- Slip resistant rubber tip
- Drop preventing wrist strap
This small compact size allows the cane to be tucked into your purse or a messenger bag while you’re dining out or anywhere else where you’d rather not deal with a clunky walking cane. Also, the cane features a rubber tip that prevents the cane from slipping out from under you while walking.
You can also slip your hand through the wrist strap so you don’t have to worry about accidentally dropping the cane.
When looking at what people had to say about the Switch Sticks Designer Folding Walking Stick, they had great things to say. Customers raved about all the color options they could choose from with this cane.
They also liked that the cane featured a wrist strap that they could use to prevent the cane from dropping should it slip out of their hand. People have said that despite the cane being collapsible, they like that it is quite sturdy, and when they are using it, they feel supported.
On the other end of the spectrum, some people were not impressed by the construction of the cane. Some people have said that the stick did not feel sturdy to them and this could be a result of the rubber tip feeling slick.
Customers also commented that they would have enjoyed the cane more if the handle had some kind of padding and it wasn’t just straight wood.
Alternative: HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane with T Handle
Looking for the best walking cane for stability might feel like a never ending challenge, but the HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane with T Handle very well may be the solution for all of your needs. This walking cane features cutting edge technology that will provide you with optimal balance.
The SteadiGrip base stimulates the foot’s natural stabilizing points. As one of the best walking canes for balance, the base will flex on an incline, uneven ground, and even different terrain such as going from carpeting to hardwood, or pavement to grass.
While this cane is perfect for providing you with support and balance, it is also a convenient device that will fold up when you don’t want to carry it anymore. This cane can be folded up to one third of its original size, and it can easily flip out so you can continue using it.
Notable Features Of The Cane
- Cutting-edge, patented technology allows it to feel like a seamless extension of the body
- Innovative SteadiGrip stabilizing technology increases traction and improves balance
- Customize the fit of the HurryCane by adjusting the handle height setting between 30.5" and 37.5"
- The HurryCane stands on its own by your side when you need it, and folds up compactly in seconds
- Weight capacity: 350 lbs
The height of the cane can be adjusted from 30.5 inches up to 37.5 inches, thus making it a perfect option for those who are uncertain of what size cane they actually need.
When looking at what people had to say about the HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane with T Handle, they had great things to say. Customers love how lightweight this cane is, without sacrificing stability.
People say that they are able to go from one surface to the next without worrying about the stability being compromised. They like that the handle fits comfortably in the hand, and they also appreciate the pivoting bottom because it helps the user not shake the cane while using it.
There are some customers who were disappointed with their purchase. A few people felt that the advertising was misleading because the cane is not suitable for all terrains, but also the pads on the bottom need to be replaced at least twice a year. Customers were disappointed that the cane only stands on its own on a hard surface.
They report that it will fall over on carpeting or grass. Some even said their canes wouldn’t stand on a hard surface, too. One customer pointed out that this cane is not sturdy and that they can easily lose their footing if too much weight is applied to the cane while walking.
Whether you’re looking for the best walking cane for elderly family members, or if you need something to help you while you’re healing from an injury, searching for the best walking cane can feel like a challenge. There are so many different types available on the market, who knows where to start!
Any three of these canes we reviewed today are worthy of your consideration. However, the one you choose really depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a conversation piece that is going to grab the attention of your friends, then you cannot go wrong with the Men Derby Cane Scorched Cherry Hardwood.
If you want something that is functional, stylish, and affordable, then the Switch Sticks Designer Folding Walking Cane is your best bet.
It can fold up, it’s sturdy, and there are 20 style options you can choose from! Because these canes are affordable, you could purchase a couple of them and treat them as a functional accessory! Talk about killing two birds with one stone!